After studying Module 4: Intelligence, the following are my answers on the suggested guide questions:
What strategies do you use to learn?
- Couple of times I’ve mentioned that I used to study my lessons while listening to music. I usually play songs that are lively in nature to keep me alive and going on my studies.
- Further, I do make outline and summary of the learning materials at hand. For me, I can easily absorb the substance of the materials if they are [resented in the manner I want to see them (usually bulleted in 2 column-style)
- I also study my lessons intermittently in a way that I’m not exhausting myself in long hours of continuous studying. Usually, I study for 2 hours followed by 15-30 minutes of rest where I spend it just lying or eating light snacks
How do you know how well you have learned; what are your indicators of learning?
- I usually “mini-discuss” the concepts or lessons that I’ve just reviewed or studied in a way that I’m like teaching it to others. I even face the mirror and watch myself reciting some of the important concepts I learned
- Sometimes (kapag sinisipag), I go back to the learning objectives usually written at the beginning of the chapter/module to know and evaluate if I were able to meet them after reviewing the materials
- I also take the end-of-chapter exams or quiz as available in the learning materials
- Lastly, I have the general “sense” if my efforts exerted were enough to gather the essence of the topics at hand. I can feel if something is “missing or lacking,” and so I will have to study more.
According to your learning strategies, where do you (in practice) seem to stand in the nature-nurture debate?
I still have to say that it’s a combination of both my inherited abilities and the environmental factors surrounding me. I have this tendency of learning better when music is part of my learning strategy (musical intelligence) which somehow is also evident among my siblings.
For the most part, I believe environmental influences play bigger on my mode of learning. I have the preferred time of the day to study, also the place where i am most comfortable at, and many more. I know I won’t be able to concentrate in a crowded and noisy place. Much of the things I consider essential for optimum learning lie on having a nurturing environment. Likewise, I also utilize the principles of “reinforcement” where I reward myself for every progress that I make relevant to my learning goals. I believe that this is still part of the atmosphere that “conditions” and facilitates my learning experiences to the fullest.